Akron Post Office & Federal Building
1927-1929 | Akron, Ohio
James A. Wetmore, Original Architect
The Neo-Classical Akron Post Office and Federal Building abandoned function as a postal facility in 1983 and was converted for offices and light manufacturing by a local sign company. The building had suffered moderate neglect – carbon covered the masonry, windows were deteriorating, the roof and skylights were beginning to fail, and the underpinning of the monumental stairs had already failed. The 67,000 sq. ft. interior was rehabilitated to house offices for SUMMA Health Care Systems in 2007. Additional efforts included restoring the front lobby was to its original configuration, rehabilitating the existing storefronts, and refurbishing the large lanterns at the terrace. Construction cost totaled $10 million.
Services Provided: Preservation & Exterior Architect, Architect of Record, Preservation Consultant for Federal & State Historic Tax Credits.