Cowell & Hubbard Building
1919 | Cleveland, OH
Walker & Weeks, Original Architect
Constructed for Cowell & Hubbard Company, the building would house the prominent local jeweler as commercial development expanded eastward along Euclid Ave. to Playhouse Square. Cowell & Hubbard was known as one of the finest jewelry stores west of NYC during the early 20th century, and would operate at this location until closing in 1981. Rehabilitation of the building included restoration of significant exterior and interior features while augmenting secondary spaces to incorporate new uses. The historic mezzanine, grand staircase, and vault were all retained. With over 32,000 sf of space, the $6 million rehabilitation was completed in 2010.
Services Provided: Preservation Architect; Preservation Consulting for Federal and State Historic Tax Credits